Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Immigration and Perry

I read this article "Perry: AZ law 'not right for Texas" in which Gov. Perry states he "understands" why Arizona passed this law to allow police officers to check on the status of a person's residency, but it is not for Texas. His staements tells me that he is trying to play both sides of the fence. On one side he wants to support his Republican Party's efforts to be tough on illegal immigration, but he also realizes that he is in the middle of a election.

I understand why Arizona passes their own laws, since year after year our federal government refuses to take on immigration reform. Arizona has also seen an increased in border violence and they are just trying to protect their citizens from being attacked.

I also see where Perry is coming from. He is in the middle of election year and needs to be able to say, I am for securing our border but our police force should not be checking on status of residency, when they could be enforcing the criminal elements. Isn't being an illegal immigrant a criminal offense? I think so.

The bigger picture is that our federal government needs to take on immigration reform and pass laws that States could follow. It is not a popular topic but it needs to be done. What are we paying Congress for? Tax payers pay them to take on hard topics and pass laws so we could follow them, not just show up and say I am here, pay me.

No comments:

Post a Comment